Underground Rock Mechanics
SRK has the knowledge and experience to engage in underground rock engineering projects across most major resource types. By integrating our expertise in rock mechanics with our understanding of the mining business, our team can provide highly practical advice and solutions that ensure the success of your project.
Our team of engineers and geoscientists provide rock engineering services for all stages of projects from feasibility studies to operations. Our strengths include geotechnical and ground support design, optimisation of mining sequences, stability and stress analyses, risk assessments and the identification of hazards. State of the art numerical analysis techniques are used where appropriate. We also assist in the design and optimisation of ground control management and monitoring systems.
SRK emphasises viewing geotechnical data in a geological context. This is embodied in our approach to geotechnical domain modelling, which facilitates better understanding and interpretation of geotechnical data, for risk assessment ahead of mining and more accurate predictions away from data points. We provide on-site operational support and training in data acquisition and we have produced standard operating procedures and manuals for several major clients.
Our geotechnical services for underground mining include:
- Geotechnical characterisation and domain modelling
- Fragmentation and cavability analyses
- Mine layout and sequence optimisation
- Boxcut, portal and decline design
- Raisebore design
- Pillar design
- Ground support design and integration with rapid development requirements
- Backfill / pastefill support design and integration into the planned mining sequence
- Ground control management planning and monitoring
- Evaluation of seismicity and high stress conditions
- Due diligence and competent person reports covering all geotechnical aspects